Looking Up a Qur'an Passage
To lookup a portion of the Qur’an, simply type what you are looking for into the search box on Qur’an Gateway’s home page. (Watch a video showing you how).
You can lookup verses or passages in a number of ways:
- Type 2 to lookup a single sura, in this case sura 2.
- Type 110-114 to lookup a range of suras, in this case suras 110 through 114.
- Type 90f to lookup a sura and the one immediately after it: in this case suras 90 and 91.
- Type 108- or 108ff to lookup everything from a sura to the end of the Qur’an: in this case suras 108 to 114.
You can also, of course, lookup single verses or a range of them. For example:
- A single verse: 19:19
- A range of verses within a single sura 19:19-22
- Al Baqarah:1-10 <- don't forget the colon between the sura name and the verse
- The Cow:1-10 <- don't forget the colon between the sura name and the verse
- A range of verses across several suras: 112:1-114:2
- A verse and the one that follows it: 40:13f
- A verse and everything after it, up to end of its sura: 106:1- or 106:1ff
- A set of discontinuous verses in a sura: 19:4,11,14,19-22,52
You can also type the sura name (either the Arabic name or the English). So, for example, these are all equivalent:
It’s also possible to lookup multiple references in one search, by separating them with a semicolon (;). For example:
Once you have a entered a reference into the search box and hit enter, Qur’an Gateway will display the verses you have asked for in its browser for you to study.